May 25, 2024  
2021-2022 Catalog 
2021-2022 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Resources


Student Resources

Green River College places the highest priority on the needs and success of all of its students. We offer a variety of resources to assist students while attaining their academic and professional goals. We encourage students to take advantage of the many resources available to them. Please find a list of student services below with a web link to access additional information about each resource.

Benefits Hub (in the Progress and Completion Center)

Student Affairs and Success Center
Career and Advising Center
(253) 288-3482

The United Way Benefits Hub helps students connect to financial resources and tools to assist with staying financially stable while going to college. The Benefits Hub staff can assist with their Financial Aid application, utility assistance, homelessness prevention and housing navigation, financial coaching, food resources, help with financial emergencies, connection to additional community resources and enrollment in public benefits (ORCA Lift, EBT and healthcare). Students may connect with the Benefits Hub staff by scheduling an appointment online.

Campus Safety

Student Affairs and Success Center
(253) 833-9111, ext. 3350 Non-emergency Line

(253) 833-9111, ext. 2250 Emergency Line

The goal of Campus Safety is to enhance the quality of campus life through the creation of a safe and secure environment for faculty, staff, students, and campus visitors to pursue a positive work and educational experience. This is accomplished by establishing a partnership with the College community and our local partners which encourages mutual understanding, cooperation, and a fundamental desire to develop problem-solving strategies to address the issues of safety and emergency preparedness. These strategies include the Emergency Operations Center (EOC), our “Red Flag” campus reporting system and our emergency notification system known as E2Campus.

Campus Safety assists with emergency aid and parking lot patrol, takes the lead in campus-related crime prevention and investigations, performs security checks of college buildings, as well as overseeing after-hours facility access. Campus Safety will also render assistance to jump-start vehicles, help with locked vehicles, and escort people to their vehicles as requested.

Career and Advising Center

Student Affairs and Success Center
(253) 288-3482

The Career and Advising Center provides comprehensive services designed to inform, support, and encourage individuals to be self-directed in the career exploration and educational planning processes. Educational Planners and Getting Started Specialists support the on-boarding of new students through their first year, until students identify their Green River degree or certificate program, at which time they are transitioned to a faculty advisor in their program of study. Career and Employment Services assist students with exploration and identification of an academic and career goal as well as employment readiness preparation and local job searches.

Career and Technical Education (CTE) Dual Credit (formerly Tech Prep)

Student Affairs and Success Center
(253) 288-3383

Career and Technical Education (CTE) Dual Credit, formerly known as Tech Prep, gives students an opportunity to get a jump-start on their future by preparing for college and a career while still in high school. The program allows students to earn both high school and career/technical college credit for completing select high school courses with a grade of “C” (2.0) or higher.

To earn CTE Dual Credit:
1.    Students enroll in high school Career and Technical Education classes offering CTE Dual Credit.
2.    Earn a “C” (2.0) or higher.
3.    Apply for Admission at Green River College.
4.    Complete a CTE Dual Credit Transcription Request and submit it to the Office of the Registrar.

Cashier’s Office

Student Affairs and Success Center
(253) 288-3399

The Cashier’s Office facilitates the collection of tuition and related college fees, vehicle registration and distribution of student parking passes.

College in the High School

Student Affairs and Success Center
(253) 288-3380

College in the High School (CHS) is an opportunity for high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors to enroll in Green River College classes at their high school, earning college credit which applies towards an associate’s degree and a high school diploma. Students must meet all prerequisites before enrolling in the CHS course. Students should check with their high school counselor, teacher or visit for more information.

Conference and Event Services

Mel Lindbloom Student Union
(253) 333-6010

Conference and Event Services provides current students, chartered student clubs, faculty, staff, organizations, and community members with on-site event planning including room reservations, catering services, and audio-visual needs. Food Services and coffee stands are available in the Student Union and Technology Center.

Counseling Services

Student Affairs and Success Center
(253) 351-6670

Counseling Services provides short-term mental health counseling and self-care/wellness education to Green River students. Workshops and consultation services are offered for staff, faculty, and student organizations. Services are free and confidential.

Daily Grind

Mel Lindbloom Student Union

Need a quick cup of coffee, tea or a snack on your way to class? Want a cozy spot to study, meet with your friends or enjoy a warm fire? Come to the café where you can get your fill of food, drinks and comfort before, after or between your classes.

Disability Support Services

Student Affairs and Success Center
(253) 833-9111, ext. 2631
TDD: (253) 288-3359

Disability Support Services works with qualified students with disabilities in a confidential, respectful and safe environment to ensure equal opportunity with and access of academic and professional goals; and to promote an accessible community where students with disabilities have equal opportunity to participate in college programs and activities.

DSS makes available reasonable requested accommodations for individuals with disabilities with advance notice of need and may include, but are not limited to: special location for testing; supplemental note taking assistance; alternatively-formatted textbooks; assistive technology; sign language interpreters; extended time on tests; supportive chairs; and referrals to campus and community resources.

Diversity, Equity & Inclusion

Mel Lindbloom Student Union
Student Life Office
(253) 833-9111, ext. 2803

The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion offers culturally competent bilingual services to recruit and retain diverse individuals from under-represented populations. We educate and empower the College to value social justice. We develop high quality programming and diversity educational opportunities to enhance student success and community engagement.

Financial Aid

Student Affairs and Success Center
(253) 288-3392

Financial assistance from grants, scholarships, loans and work-study programs is available to help cover college costs. 

Food Service

Mel Lindbloom Student Union
(253) 833-9111, ext. 3366

Conveniently situated on the first floor in the Lindbloom Student Union, the Gator Grille offers a variety of food service options - from hot lunch specials, burgers, sandwiches and salads to hot and cold beverages, and pastries. In addition, there are two espresso stands on campus. One is in the Student Union and the other is in the Technology Center.

Green River College Foundation

Administration Building
(253) 288-3330

The Green River College Foundation provides financial resources to students.  Scholarships, completion loans, and emergency funding are available to students in need. You can find out about how the foundation can help you at

Housing - On Campus

Campus Corner Apartments (CCA)
On-Campus Housing
(253) 876-0700

Student housing is available for all Green River students. The apartment community is conveniently located across the street from the main Green River campus. CCA provides residents with a shared living experience in apartment units containing four private bedrooms. Housing fees include utilities, high speed internet, semi-private bathrooms and shared kitchen and living facilities. CCA also provides residents with reoccurring community programs and events. The community at CCA is supported by eight student Resident Assistants (“RA”s). These student leaders are selected, trained, and support their peers to build an engaged and individually focused community at CCA.

Housing - Off Campus

Mel Lindbloom Student Union
Student Life Office
(253) 833-9111, ext. 2400

A housing information list containing ads for rooms to rent and roommates wanted is maintained in the Student Life Office.

International Programs

International Village, Building D
(253) 833-9111, ext. 3300

The International Programs office staff offers a variety of services, such as international admissions, orientation, assistance with immigration issues, academic, cultural and individual university transfer advising, housing assistance, and help getting involved on campus.

Judicial Programs

Student Affairs and Success Center
(253) 833-9111, ext. 3397

Judicial Programs, a unit within Student Affairs, seeks to educate students about their rights, responsibilities, and expectations as members of Green River College while providing a fair and educational process through which alleged violations of the Student Code of Conduct are adjudicated. Judicial Affairs offers workshops and presentations on the judicial process of the college, community standards, and other issues related to the Student Code of Conduct for faculty, staff, and students.


Holman Library
(253) 931-6490

Holman Library provides research and computing support for students, faculty and staff. It houses the college library, an open computer lab, instructional classroom space, an art gallery, and media services for faculty.

Math Learning Center

Cedar Hall, Room 313
(253) 833-9111, ext. 4498

The Math Learning Center provides free drop-in tutorial assistance to students in math courses, as well as a variety of other resources including math DVD’s, an instructional network of computers with some math related software, and access to current math textbooks. The MLC also offers quarterly graphing calculator rentals.

Office of the Registrar

Student Affairs and Success Center
(253) 288-3383

The Office of the Registrar is a comprehensive department which supports students in applying for admission, registering for classes, maintaining accurate and secure student records, transferring in credits from other institutions, and graduation requirements. The Office of the Registrar also provides services for student transcripts and works with students on tuition payment plans.

Other Green River Locations

Auburn Center

1221 D ST NE, Auburn, WA 98002
(253) 288-3455
FAX: (253) 288-3469

The Auburn Center offers a variety of credit and non-credit classes serving the needs of the Auburn community and surrounding Auburn area. Programs include Aviation, Washington Environmental Training Center (WETRC), Washington Certification Services (WCS), Continuing Education (CE), College Readiness, high school diploma, English Language Learners and GED® prep, GED®, and the Small Business Assistance Center (SBAC). The community-based Auburn Center offers a personalized environment to students seeking degrees and personal enrichment, and to businesses who send employees to the campus for business training.

Kent Location

417 Ramsay Way, Suite 112, Kent, WA 98032
(253) 520-6290

The Kent location offers many of the same services and credit programs as the main campus, as well as a wide variety of non-credit, business and contract training programs. It is located at Kent Station offering a unique study environment, with great restaurants, coffee shops, and retail shops nearby. This location is close to the Kent Library, King County Regional Justice Center, Sound Transit Commuter Train and bus station, and Highway 167.

Enumclaw Branch

1414 Griffin Ave, Enumclaw, WA 98022
(253) 288-3400 or (360) 829-2450

The Enumclaw branch offers a personalized environment to students seeking degrees or personal enrichment and to businesses that send employees for business training. The Enumclaw branch also offers many of the same services and programs as the main campus, such as student orientations, registration, advising, and placement testing at various times throughout the quarter.

Small Business Assistance Center

Located at the Auburn Center
1221 D ST NE, Auburn, WA 98002
(253) 288-3455
FAX:  (253)288-3469

The Green River Small Business Assistance Center provides technical assistance to small businesses in the South King County area. Individual counseling sessions provided by certified business advisors offer business owners the chance to tackle and solve new business challenges. In addition, assessment, referrals and small business class training sessions are offered to meet the needs of local businesses.

The Papertree Bookstore

Mel Lindbloom Student Union
(253) 288-2069

The Paper Tree bookstore is located on the first floor of the Mel Lindbloom Student Union. Students can purchase textbooks, art, school supplies, engineering supplies, college clothing, college gifts, and more. The Paper Tree has a small convenience store. The Bookstore also offers a variety of products and services, such as faxing, copies, UPS delivery, ID cards, gift cards, balloon bouquets, and more. Students can order their books and supplies online at:

The Paper Tree Bookstore is open Monday through Thursday from 7:45 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Friday 7:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Hours vary during summer quarter and can be found on our website.

Refunds on textbooks are made the first 15 business days of each quarter, except summer quarter. Receipts are required for any refund or exchange. Sell your used textbooks for cash the last three days of each quarter.


Student Affairs and Success Center
Campus Safety
(253) 833-9111, ext. 3350

Students, staff and faculty are strongly encouraged to register their cars with Campus Safety to provide timely contact information in the event of an emergency involving their vehicle. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant parking is available for vehicles with state-issued disability hang tags or license plates. The college has designated parking spaces for carpool, motorcycles, students and staff. Additional free parking is available at Pacific Raceways and the Grace Lutheran church. Students are encouraged to use the free Shuttle bus program. Shuttle buses run from 7:30 a.m. to 4:40 p.m. daily from Pacific Raceways to Parking Lot 16 (P-16) and back during instructional contract days during fall, winter and spring quarters. Shuttle service is not available for the summer academic quarter. Shuttles run approximately every fifteen minutes throughout the day and are available to any student, staff or faculty member.

Placement & Testing Center

Student Affairs and Success Center
(253) 288-3449

The Placement & Testing Center offers many services for future and current students, as well as for community members. Please visit our website for more details on each type of testing we offer.

High School Equivalency Test

Is available in the form of GED® Testing.

Instructional Testing

Is available for current students in certain classes.

Non-Green River Test Proctoring

Is available for individuals attending other institutions, as well as certifications and other employment tests for agencies.

Course Placement Testing

Includes the College Success Reading assessment, WAMAP math entrance exam, and spelling test.

Program Entry Testing

Is available for our selective admissions programs.

Progress and Completion Center

Student Affairs and Success Center
Career and Advising Center
(253) 288-3482

The Completion Coaches at Green River College offer support to students who are experiencing academic, personal or financial barriers to degree completion. Services and resources include assistance with academic planning, reverse transfer of credits, identification of funding resources, and referral to community-based resources, including the Green River/United Way Benefits Hub. In addition, Progress and Completion Centers offers two unique student support programs; CCAMPIS and Native Student Success. CCAMPIS (Childcare Access Means Parents in School) provides childcare scholarships for low-income parents to supplement tuition costs while completing their degree/certificate at Green River. Please visit to learn more about our program and eligibility.

Running Start Program

Student Affairs and Success Center
(253) 288-3380

Running Start, a program created by the Washington State Legislature, provides an opportunity for academically qualified high school juniors and seniors to earn college credit at a significantly reduced cost (courses numbered 100 or higher). Qualifying students must show eligibility for ENGL 101    and be enrolled through a public high school/district. Students who are home schooled or attend a private school are therefore required to contact their public high school/district for enrollment instructions. Running Start students are required to pay for textbooks, supplies, and fees. A fee waiver/book loan program is available for those who qualify.

The decision to begin college early is an important one. Students are encouraged to discuss the decision carefully with parents or guardians and high school counselors. For more information visit

Student Handbook

Mel Lindbloom Student Union
Information Desk

The college produces an annual student handbook which is available at the Student Life Information Center. The handbook explains current student services, college and academic resources, as well as policies and procedures.

Student Life

Mel Lindbloom Student Union
Student Life Office
(253) 833-9111, ext 2400

Student Life offers a variety of student-centered programs, events and resources, including the Community Leadership, Education and Outreach (CLEO) student leadership program, the Commencement Achievement Program (CAP) peer navigator program, ASGRC student government, clubs, lectures, musical entertainment, diversity education and other opportunities to engage in life outside of the classroom, to the student body.  Student Life hosts events to foster personal and professional relationship building, cultivate community connections, and support a healthy school-life balance.  

Technology Center

Technology Center

The Technology Center is an active place on campus with an Espresso Café on the main level where students gather to study and interact. There are computer equipped classrooms throughout this building with a quiet study lab on the second floor which has over 120 computers, a plotter, one color and three black ink printers, scanners and several group study areas.


Student Affairs and Success Center
(253) 833-9111, ext. 2566

Green River participates in the Washington Commute Trip Reduction Program (Chapter 468-63 WAC). Students are encouraged to ride one of our 25 or 39 passenger buses or carpool to campus, all free to the students. Bus route 164 runs from downtown Kent to the East Hill on its way to Green River. Bus route 181 runs from Federal Way through downtown Auburn to Green River. Carpools are encouraged, as well as guaranteed parking on a pay by the day or by the quarter basis in our P5 parking lot.

The after hours Safety Ride Program provides marked vans to transport persons to and from CCA to nearby apartments, home shares, Holman Library, and local stores withing the Green River designated routes at night as a safer alternative to walking. The Safety Ride Program is available to any Green River student, staff or faculty member within the ride service area.

TRiO Student Support Services

Student Affairs and Success Center
(253) 288-3478

TRiO SSS is a federally-funded program offering intensive support for students considering a transfer degree. Students who are low-income, have documented disabilities or whose parents or legal guardians have not earned a bachelor’s degree may be eligible to join TRiO.

TRiO is a great first step for eligible students because it offers academic planning and career exploration, peer tutoring, transfer planning and college visits, along with workshops on scholarships, study skills, time management and more. Students should contact TRiO to find out if they qualify for the program.

Tutoring and Resource Center

Holman Library
(253) 833-9111, ext. 2658

Students receive free tutoring at the Tutoring and Resource Center located on the second floor of the library. Faculty-approved tutors provide assistance with all subject areas except math and writing. See Math Learning Center and Writing Center.

Veteran Services

Student Affairs and Success Center
(253) 288-3452

Veteran Services provides information necessary to activate and maintain the following benefits: GI Bill® (Ch. 33, Ch. 30, or 1606), VBA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31), and Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Ch. 35). Any students wishing to use these benefits must contact the School Certifying Official in Veteran Services. GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Veterans Lounge

Student Affairs and Success Center
(253) 833-9111, ext. 2277

Students are welcome to visit our Veterans Lounge for a quick coffee break, or to find out more information about available resources. Available Work Study students can assist Veterans and their family members by connecting them to resources on and off campus.

Violence Prevention Center (VPC)

Student Affairs and Success Center
(253) 333-6015

The Green River College Violence Prevention Center (VPC) implements campus-wide strategies to prevent interpersonal violence, promote wellness, and provide support to all members of the campus community that have experienced stalking, harassment, sexual assault and relationship violence. The VPC holds annual awareness events, provides bystander intervention training, and connects anyone on campus that has experienced violence to resources and support both on and off campus. The VPC believes it is possible for Green River College to be a place where interpersonal violence is not tolerated, and where everyone in our campus community has the skills and tools to prevent harm.

Welcome Desk

Student Affairs and Success Center
(253) 333-6000

The Welcome Desk is often one of the first places on campus students visit as they begin their college journey. Staff field questions from prospective, new, and continuing students as well as campus visitors, staff and faculty. The Welcome Desk team provides program information and detailed instructions on the steps to getting started to help students navigate moving from prospective students to being enrolled students.

Writing Center

Rutkowski Learning Center, Room 173
(253) 833-9111, ext. 2166

The Writing Center offers one-on-one consulting services for students at all stages of the writing process with assistance from faculty and student tutors. Though the Center cannot guarantee you error-free papers, they can help you to improve in the areas you choose to work on.

Workforce Education

Student Affairs and Success Center
(253) 931-6550

Workforce Education administers programs that provide free or reduced tuition to students who qualify. A number of our programs also assist with books, fees, and, in some cases, educational supplies.


WorkFirst helps people in need learn job-specific skills so that they can earn a better living. Participants who qualify for WorkFirst can receive financial aid to pay for tuition, books, and fees.

Opportunity Grant

The Opportunity Grant funds tuition, fees, and money for books for low-income students in specific, state-approved career paths, as well as for undecided students who begin their studies in one of the approved paths.

Worker Retraining

Worker Retraining is a partnership of community and technical colleges and the Washington State Employment Security Department. It provides job training for both unemployed workers and those who face imminent layoffs.