Feb 04, 2023
ART 251 - Ceramics 1 Credits: 5
Introduces students to conceptual problems and challenges with developing solutions in clay. Students demonstrate their understanding of the narrative object and its effectiveness in communicating ideas, values, and identity. Exposes students to non-traditional processes in clay construction, glaze application, firing process, and finishing surfaces, and discusses their aesthetic choices.
Enrollment Requirement: ART 114 and ART 115 with grades of 1.0 or higher; or instructor consent.
Satisfies Requirement: Humanities/Fine Arts/English
Course Fee: $25.00
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Demonstrate their familiarity of ceramic terminology and process.
- Complete assignments based on specific or collective narratives.
- Take part in alternative firing processes: Raku, Horse Hair, Saggar, Salt, and/or Pit- Firing.
- Learn how the material used to create an object may be part of its content
- Use alternative surface treatments.
- Demonstrate familiarity with intermediate glazing techniques.
- Produce sketches and writings to show the development of their concepts.
Demonstrate elements and principles of visual arts.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)