Jun 05, 2023
BUS 121 - Marketing Fundamentals Credits: 5
Examines how to build a successful marketing strategy. Students learn to understand consumer behavior, identify target market segments, select distribution channels, price for profitability, and select promotional tactics. Emphasizes the integration of these marketing functions into an effective plan.
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Become acquainted with the marketing concept, market segmentation and marketing mix.
- Explain the nature, purpose and function of marketing research.
- Describe the consumer and industrial markets.
- Discuss the buyer, his behavior, motivation, and buying patterns.
- Summarize the manner in which products are planned, created, and developed.
- Explain the elements of pricing and the major ways in which prices are determined.
- Describe of the various channels of distribution, their functions and methods of operation.
- Explain the role and function of promotion in marketing.
- Outline how marketing programs are planned, executed, controlled and evaluated.
- Demonstrate leadership competencies and teamwork skills necessary to resolve interpersonal and organizational challenges that most often occur in the modern workplace.
- Communicate clearly, appropriately, and persuasively to business stakeholders, both orally and in writing.
- Describe the basics of strategic planning and creative problem solving.
- Explain the methods for organizing and delegating work.
- Discuss self-management skills related to areas such as goal setting, self-esteem, and problem solving.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)