Jun 02, 2023
BTAC 100 - Fundamentals of Computers Credits: 5
Introduction of computers for home and business applications. Course content includes history, terminology, word processing, spreadsheets, databases, presentations, desktop information management, and (OLE) Object Linking and Embedding. Covers an overview of the Internet. Also provides a foundation for all Business Division computer courses. A minimum typing speed of 20 wpm is recommended.
Enrollment Requirement: Eligible for ENGL 97 ; or instructor consent.
Course Fee: $30.00
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Discuss the history of computers.
- Identify the components of a computer system and explain their use.
- Distinguish between software and hardware.
- Make an informed decision in selecting hardware and software.
- Identify ethical issues which involve computer usage.
- Produce printed documents using word processing software.
- Use spreadsheet software to construct simple worksheets and graphs.
- Set up a small database using data management software.
- Create a PowerPoint presentation.
- Integrate Microsoft Office 365 software applications.
- Access information from the Internet.
- Implement calculator/computer technology to solve problems.
- Successfully integrate Microsoft Office software applications to present information in a meaningful manner.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)