Dec 01, 2023
CARP 167 - Material Estimating Credits: 3
A competency-based course. Introduction to material estimating methods. Topics include foundation, framing, exterior and interior material estimating methods and practices.
Course Fee: $40.00
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Determine the amount and cost of all the materials to build a home based on residential prints.
- Collect data for sub-contracted prices based on residential prints.
- Combine both sub-contracted bids and their own material estimating costs and derive at an estimated cost to build the house.
- Be employed as a carpenter helper or a union carpentry apprenticeship program.
- Demonstrate efficiency, safety, and accuracy in the completion of carpentry tasks.
- Read and interpret basic architectural residential prints
- Estimate materials and supplies to build a basic single story residential home.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
- Quantitative and Symbolic Reasoning - Quantitative Reasoning encompasses abilities necessary for a student to become literate in today’s technological world. Quantitative reasoning begins with basic skills and extends to problem solving.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)