May 30, 2023
CHIN 111 - First Year Chinese for Heritage Learners Credits: 5
Intended for students with some formal or home training in listening and speaking Mandarin Chinese. Focuses on reading comprehension and writing characters in context. Students who speak Mandarin with non-standard accents are trained in standard pronunciation. Uses 80% Mandarin Chinese in the classroom. Course cannot be taken by students who are highly literal in Mandarin Chinese.
Enrollment Requirement: Eligible for ENGL 99 or instructor consent.
Satisfies Requirement: Humanities/Fine Arts/English
Course Fee: $3.00
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills in simplified character Chinese.
- Develop basic skills to read and write modern colloquial Chinese.
- Demonstrate and develop reading and writing skills on the bases of fundamental grammatical patterns and vocabulary in functional contexts.
- Develop proficiency for those who speak Mandarin with non-standard accents to demonstrate proficiency in standard pronunciation.
- Analyze cultural perspectives and values of a multicultural world.
- Written Communication - Written Communication encompasses all the abilities necessary for effective expression of thoughts, feelings, and ideas in written form.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)