May 28, 2023
ENGL 190 - Young Adult Literature Credits: 5
Deals with elements of literature as applied to young adult books ranging from junior high level reading to senior high level reading. Specific subjects include character, plot, setting, theme, point of view, style, and tone as applied to prose and other literary media written for young adults.
Enrollment Requirement: Eligible for ENGL 99 or instructor consent.
Satisfies Requirement: Humanities/Fine Arts/English
Course Fee: $2.00
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Recognize, analyze, and comment on the literary elements as they appear in adolescent books.
- Select books suitable to specific audiences and purposes.
- Critique adolescent books on the basis of the text and illustrators.
- Write responses to literature.
- Critically reflect through participation.
Students will demonstrate college-level reading skills by summarizing, analyzing, interpreting, synthesizing, and evaluating college texts; and develop an awareness of the approaches writers use for different audiences, genres, and rhetorical situations.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
- Written Communication - Written Communication encompasses all the abilities necessary for effective expression of thoughts, feelings, and ideas in written form.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)