Jun 09, 2023
HL ED 150 - Total Wellness Credits: 5
Explores wellness and provides students with the information necessary to make informed choices and decisions regarding physical activity, diet/weight control, nutrition, death and dying, recognizing and reducing stress, relaxation techniques, relationships, environmental issues, and risk factors for disease. Taught by a team of instructors.
Course Fee: $2.50
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Demonstrate an enhanced awareness of the relationship between lifestyle behaviors and disease.
- Define the various components of wellness.
- Recognize and define the impacts of stress, nutrition and exercise on overall health and wellness.
- Develop strategies to manage their stress, improve nutrition, and incorporate exercise into their daily lives.
- Recognize and define the impact of behavior and lifestyle habits on cardiovascular health, cancer, and sexually transmitted diseases.
- Develop strategies to reduce their risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer and sexually transmitted diseases.
- Demonstrate an enhanced understanding of death and dying including personal wishes/values, expenses, preparation, media influence, and perspective.
- Evaluate their personal health and wellness.
- Participate in academic and physical activities that address various goals of Healthy People 2020. Goals include physical activity, nutrition and weight status, diabetes, heart disease and stroke, and cancer.
- Apply training principles or rules of the sport in fitness- and skill-related classes.
- Identify and/or practice lifetime health and fitness skills that reduce risk of chronic disease and improve or maintain fitness and skill.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)