May 29, 2023
HL ED 190 - Standard First Aid/CPR Credits: 3
American Red Cross requirement for First Aid and CPR certification may be met. Covers adult, child, and infant first aid, CPR, rescue breathing, medical emergencies, bandaging, splinting and transporting.
Course Fee: $35.00
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Apply American Red Cross First Aid and personal safety procedures for infants, children and adults.
- Recognize emergencies and prevent accidents.
- Deal more efficiently with emergency situations.
- Practice and develop skill in checking a victim.
- Practice and develop skill in rescue breathing.
- Practice and develop skill in aiding a choking victim.
- Practice and develop skill in CPR.
- Practice and develop skill in splinting and bandaging a victim.
- Practice and develop skill in moving/transporting victims.
- Participate in academic and physical activities that address various goals of Healthy People 2020. Goals include physical activity, nutrition and weight status, diabetes, heart disease and stroke, and cancer.
- Apply training principles or rules of the sport in fitness- and skill-related classes.
- Identify and/or practice lifetime health and fitness skills that reduce risk of chronic disease and improve or maintain fitness and skill.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)