Jun 08, 2023
H SCI 110 - Exploring Healthcare Careers Credits: 3
Explores career options in the healthcare field. Covers qualities of the health care worker, how to prepare for a career in health care, cultural issues in health care, and an overview of the many health care career options.
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Describe the personal characteristics necessary to be an effective health care worker.
- Describe the responsibilities of the different health care careers.
- Compare and contrast the following factors among professions: educational requirements, employment trends, opportunities for advancement, salary potential, career ladders.
- Identify the professionals who do similar tasks or have similar responsibilities.
- Discuss the impact of culture on health care.
- Describe the life-span perspective as it relates to health care.
- Identify the steps necessary to prepare for a career in health care.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
- Written Communication - Written Communication encompasses all the abilities necessary for effective expression of thoughts, feelings, and ideas in written form.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)