Jun 02, 2023
MATH 77 - Extended Elementary Algebra Credits: 5
Topics include a subset of topics covered in the regular MATH 72 course including a study of sets, properties and terminology of real numbers, absolute value, simplifying algebraic expressions, integer exponents, graphing and solving linear equations and inequalities, unit analysis, ratios, rates, and proportions, solving systems of equations, factoring and performing operations on polynomial expressions, Pythagorean Theorem, functions, and applications. Graphing calculator required.
Enrollment Requirement: Instructor consent.
Course Fee: $2.00
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Find real solutions for linear equations, using tables, graphs and algebra.
- Solve literal equations.
- Simplify expressions involving integer exponents.
- Simplify, add, subtract, and multiply polynomials.
- Factor quadratic trinomials.
- Graph linear equations and derive equations for lines.
- Use unit analysis to convert measurements.
- Solve ratio, rate, and proportional reasoning problems.
- Apply the Pythagorean Theorem to solve problems.
- Use functions in the form of graphs, tables, and linear equations.
- Solve systems of linear equations.
- Apply real number properties and order of operations to solve equations.
- Solve linear inequalities with one variable.
- Recognize which quantitative or symbolic reasoning methods are appropriate for solving a given problem.
- Correctly implement the quantitative or symbolic reasoning methods that are appropriate for solving a given problem.
- Translate data into various formats such as symbolic language, equations, graphs, and formulas.
- Quantitative and Symbolic Reasoning - Quantitative Reasoning encompasses abilities necessary for a student to become literate in today’s technological world. Quantitative reasoning begins with basic skills and extends to problem solving.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)