May 30, 2023
NURSE 198 - Independent Study-Nursing Credits: 1-10
Students are responsible to meet with a Nursing advisor and agree to a specific objective contract which identifies unit of credits, and learning experiences to be completed. This contract is filed with the Dean of Instruction, Health Sciences and Education.
Enrollment Requirement: Instructor consent.
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Course outcomes to be mutually agreed upon between instructor and student.
- Provide safe, quality, evidence-based, innovative client-centered nursing care to diverse clients across the lifespan.
- Engage in clinical judgment that integrates evidence, nursing, physical and psychosocial sciences, to ensure healthcare quality and safety, and make client/relationship centered care decisions within the scope of practice of the practical nurse.
- Participate in collaboration and teamwork with the inter-professional team, the client, and the client’s support persons to provide and improve client care and communication.
- Integrate quality improvement activities and advocacy skills to enhance client care.
- Utilize information technology and supportive resources to improve client care processes within the healthcare system.
- Incorporate legal and ethical guidelines within the scope of practice of a practical nurse to enhance client care and professional development.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)