Jun 08, 2023
FILM 151 - Asian Film Studies Credits: 5
Examine and analyze specific examples of films from Asian, East Asian and/or South East Asian countries. Learn and apply the following film studies concepts to analyzing the films: film terms and techniques, director and setting analysis, and thematic and cultural analysis. Examine the intersectionality of these multiple identities as portrayed through Asian film (including cultural identity/race, class/economics, politics/national identity, and gender lenses).
Enrollment Requirement: Eligible for ENGL 99 or instructor consent.
Satisfies Requirement: Diversity
Course Fee: $2.00
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Analyze a representative selection of Asian film for cultural contexts.
- Analyze a representative selection of Asian film in historical contexts.
- Apply literary/film criticism methodologies to Asian film.
- Evaluate Asian films using film studies techniques.
- Evaluate the narrative structure of Asian films.
- Evaluate the composition of Asian films.
- Create message appropriate to the audience, purpose, and context.
- Use, synthesize, or produce needed information ethnically.
- Form, analyze, and assess beliefs while demonstrating intellectual humility and respect towards the beliefs of others.
- Analyze cultural perspectives and values of a multicultural world.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Written Communication - Written Communication encompasses all the abilities necessary for effective expression of thoughts, feelings, and ideas in written form.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)