AVIA 101 - Aviation Fundamentals
Covers basic aviation phraseology, air traffic glossary, definitions, acronyms and terms that pilots, air traffic controllers and flight operations managers use to operate and control aircraft and to manage flight operations. Includes aviation scenario practice with US and ICAO aviation rules and procedures, flight planning, aeronautical charts, aeronautical calculations, airspace, aerial navigation, aircraft weight and balance, aircraft performance, and aircraft flight systems.
Enrollment Requirement: Instructor consent.
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Explain basic aviation terminology.
- Demonstrate basic flight planning skills.
- Identify symbology in aviation charts.
- Estimate basic aircraft performance.
- Explain basic navigation equipment and navigation.
- Describe aircraft flight systems.
- Prepare for an entry-level position as a fixed-wing Commercial Pilot.
- Employ understanding of the integral parts of the global aviation industry through practical application of comprehensive aeronautical principles.
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary and diverse team of aviation professionals through proficiency in the skills and technology used in the aviation industry.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Quantitative and Symbolic Reasoning - Quantitative Reasoning encompasses abilities necessary for a student to become literate in today’s technological world. Quantitative reasoning begins with basic skills and extends to problem solving.
- Written Communication - Written Communication encompasses all the abilities necessary for effective expression of thoughts, feelings, and ideas in written form.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)