Dec 06, 2023
AVIA 281 - Air Traffic Control 1 Credits: 5
Introduces radar and non-radar air traffic control, flight data processing, aircraft communication, FAA separation standards, controller techniques, and airspace management. Covers computer simulation of ATC problems.
Enrollment Requirement: AVIA 216 or concurrent enrollment; or instructor consent.
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the function of each of the four different ATC facilities.
- Demonstrate a skill in the use of proper ATC phraseology.
- Demonstrate a skill in the use of radar and related computer functions.
- Demonstrate a skill in the proper application of ATC separation standards and related techniques.
- Demonstrate a skill in the proper application of in-flight assistance and severe weather avoidance requirements.
- Prepare for an entry-level position as an Air Traffic Controller in the National Airspace System.
- Employ understanding of the integral parts of the global aviation industry through practical application of comprehensive aeronautical principles.
- Demonstrate an ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary and diverse team of aviation professionals through proficiency in the skills and technology used in the aviation industry.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Quantitative and Symbolic Reasoning - Quantitative Reasoning encompasses abilities necessary for a student to become literate in today’s technological world. Quantitative reasoning begins with basic skills and extends to problem solving.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)