Dec 03, 2023
BASIC 75 - Basic High School Equivalency Test Preparation Credits: 1-15
Helps students master the skills in writing, critical thinking, social studies, science, reading and mathematics to pass the high school equivalency test. This is a pass/no credit course.
Enrollment Requirement: Instructor consent and appropriate CASAS score.
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Determine the reading purpose.
- Select reading strategies appropriate to the purpose.
- Monitor comprehension and adjust reading strategies.
- Analyze the information and reflect on its underlying meaning and integrate it with prior knowledge to address reading purpose.
- Determine the purpose for communicating in writing.
- Organize and present information to serve the purpose, paying attention to conventions of English language usage, including grammar, spelling, and sentence structure.
- Revise writing to enhance effectiveness.
- Interpret pictures, numbers, and symbolic information.
- Apply knowledge of mathematical concepts and procedures.
- Evaluate the reasonableness of a result.
- Communicate results using graphs, charts, tables and algebraic models.
- Demonstrate college-ready level reading, writing, digital literacy, and communication skills in social studies, literature, and science.
- Demonstrate competency in college-ready level mathematics.
- Quantitative and Symbolic Reasoning - Quantitative Reasoning encompasses abilities necessary for a student to become literate in today’s technological world. Quantitative reasoning begins with basic skills and extends to problem solving.
- Written Communication - Written Communication encompasses all the abilities necessary for effective expression of thoughts, feelings, and ideas in written form.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)