Dec 09, 2023
BUS 166 - Human Relations and Work Readiness Credits: 5
Develops personal skills necessary for success in business. Topics include goal setting, time management, teamwork, communication, business etiquette, and making a positive impact in the workplace. Focuses on application of skills to maximize personal and professional effectiveness.
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Identify theories of motivation and human behavior.
- Describe the impact of human perception and people relationships.
- Discuss and distinguish four general styles of leadership.
- Explain the essential principles of understanding communication.
- Examine current workforce issues faced by today’s employees and managers, including diversity, discrimination and sexual harassment.
- Define customer service and list the major components of a customer-focused environment.
- Explain the strategies for improving listening ability.
- Illustrate strategies for time management.
- Demonstrate leadership competencies and teamwork skills necessary to resolve interpersonal and organizational challenges that most often occur in the modern workplace.
- Communicate clearly, appropriately, and persuasively to business stakeholders, both orally and in writing.
- Describe the basics of strategic planning and creative problem solving.
- Explain the methods for organizing and delegating work.
- Discuss self-management skills related to areas such as goal setting, self-esteem, and problem solving.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)