Dec 08, 2023
BUS 258 - Principles of Management and Supervision Credits: 5
Integrates and builds upon skills learned in previous Business Management courses. Students learn about strategic planning and decision making, leadership and motivation in the workplace, human resources, and various best practices of successful management.
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Explain the basics of strategic planning and creative problem solving.
- Discuss methods to organize and delegate work.
- Evaluate processes for hiring, firing, and evaluating staff.
- Describe keys to effective communication and leadership in the workplace.
- Identify common tools for a manager.
- Discuss systems for controlling finances, people, and operations.
- Demonstrate leadership competencies and teamwork skills necessary to resolve interpersonal and organizational challenges that most often occur in the modern workplace.
- Communicate clearly, appropriately, and persuasively to business stakeholders, both orally and in writing.
- Describe the basics of strategic planning and creative problem solving.
- Explain the methods for organizing and delegating work.
- Discuss self-management skills related to areas such as goal setting, self-esteem, and problem solving.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
- Written Communication - Written Communication encompasses all the abilities necessary for effective expression of thoughts, feelings, and ideas in written form.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)