Dec 08, 2023
ECED 181 - Montessori Practicum I Credits: 4
Provides students practical work experience in a Montessori classroom setting for the purpose of applying theoretical knowledge. Students are under the guidance and supervision of a Montessori-certified college instructor while working with children between the ages of 3-6.
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Assess professional strengths and weaknesses.
- Self-evaluate student-child interaction based on provided criteria.
- Implement changes in interaction based on self-evaluation.
- Prepare the classroom environment based on Montessori principles.
- Prepare materials based on Montessori principles.
- Demonstrate classroom materials based on Montessori principles.
- Demonstrate observational skill.
- Use developmental milestones and observations of children’s behavior as a foundation for planning appropriate activities.
- Advocate for strategies that promote the cultural diversity of children, families and their communities.
- Demonstrate effective written, verbal and non-verbal communication
- Discuss current issues and trends in early childhood education.
- Identify typical and atypical growth and development (cognitive, linguistic, motor, and social).
- Positively support children’s whole development.
- Display a positive attitude and enthusiasm for the job
- Develop rapport and contribute to the work environment as a member of the instructional team.
- Practice ethical and professional standards of conduct.
- Comply with laws (such as IDEA, Section 504, ADA), workplace policies, and procedures in relation to confidentiality, reporting of abuse, discipline, chain of command and delegation and supervision.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)