Dec 03, 2023
ECED& 190 - Observation and Assessment Credits: 3
Collect and record observation and assessment data in order to plan for and support the child, the family, the group and the community. Practice reflection techniques, summarizing conclusions and communicating findings.
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Describe reasons for collecting observation and assessment data.
- Identify indicators of growth, development, learning and social behaviors in all children.
- Identify techniques for avoiding bias, judgments, and assumptions in observations.
- Collect factual, descriptive data using a variety of assessment tools and strategies.
- Document and analyze assessment data for use in planning curriculum for individual and groups of children.
- Design, set up and manage safe, healthy environments, spaces, equipment and materials which invite learning.
- Discuss the dynamics of family structure.
- Involve parents and community agencies in early childhood development.
- Develop, plan, and implement developmentally appropriate curriculum for early education.
- Modify curriculum, instructional strategies and methods of assessment to meet the needs of exceptional, high risk, and special needs students.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
- Written Communication - Written Communication encompasses all the abilities necessary for effective expression of thoughts, feelings, and ideas in written form.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)