Aug 12, 2022
EDUC& 130 - Guiding Behavior Credits: 3
Examine the principles and theories promoting social competence in young children and creating safe learning environments. Develop skills promoting effective interactions, providing positive individual guidance, and enhancing group experiences.
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Identify developmentally appropriate individual and group behaviors of children.
- Compare at least three approaches to guiding behavior.
- Recognize positive, respectful, culturally responsive approaches to guidance.
- Plan environment supportive of children’s development with focus on attachment, self-help, relationships, and executive function.
- Articulate strategies to promote social/emotional competence and positive sense of self.
- Use developmental milestones and observations of children’s behavior as a foundation for planning appropriate activities.
- Advocate for strategies that promote the cultural diversity of children, families and their communities.
- Demonstrate effective written, verbal and non-verbal communication
- Discuss current issues and trends in early childhood education.
- Identify typical and atypical growth and development (cognitive, linguistic, motor, and social).
- Positively support children’s whole development.
- Display a positive attitude and enthusiasm for the job
- Develop rapport and contribute to the work environment as a member of the instructional team.
- Practice ethical and professional standards of conduct
- Comply with laws (such as IDEA, Section 504, ADA), workplace policies, and procedures in relation to confidentiality, reporting of abuse, discipline, chain of command and delegation and supervision.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)