Oct 18, 2021
MFG 163 - Training and Practice Credits: 1-4
Provides training and practice in the safe and efficient set-up and operation of all basic machine tools, including machine accessories, measuring tools and inspection equipment. Instruction is geared toward those interested only in skills rather than certification.
Prerequisite: Instructor consent.
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Observe all occupational health and safety rules.
- Plan a lathe and a milling machine job with the correct sequence of operations to produce a work piece to the specifications on the blueprint.
- Calculate correct cutting speeds and feeds on both lathe and milling machine.
- Select the correct tooling for basic lathe and milling machine operations.
- Correctly use micrometers, dial calipers, vernier scales, steel rules, dial indicators, and do precision layout.
- Given a detailed drawing and materials, set-up and operate machine tools to produce a work piece within specified tolerances.
- Demonstrate accuracy and safety in the completion of manufacturing tasks.
- Produce a manually turned workpiece.
- Produce a manually milled workpiece.
- Produce a surface-ground workpiece.
- Produce a CNC machined workpiece.
- Use hand tools correctly and safely.
- Use precision measuring instruments correctly.
- Read blueprints correctly.
- Produce a correctly sequenced job/build plan.
- Identify and describe basic tools and project materials.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
- Written Communication - Written Communication encompasses all the abilities necessary for effective expression of thoughts, feelings, and ideas in written form.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)