Feb 29, 2024
P E 113 - Group Dynamic Activities Credits: 1
Focuses on self-confidence and team-building skills through participation in a graduated series of problem-solving and challenge activities. Employs initiative activities, games, and an adventure-based challenge/ropes course. Meets two eight-hour days.
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to work within a group by practicing leadership, followership, decision-making, and problem solving.
- Demonstrate the ability to evaluate sound physical activity and personal safety with respect to strengths and weaknesses within the group and the individual.
- Demonstrate the ability to recognize self-imposed boundaries and challenge those perceived limitations resulting in a fuller appreciation of self.
- Interact with nature as an outdoor learning environment in order to apply an appreciation and respect for the beauty of its various elements.
- Participate in academic and physical activities that address various goals of Healthy People 2020. Goals include physical activity, nutrition and weight status, diabetes, heart disease and stroke, and cancer.
- Apply training principles or rules of the sport in fitness- and skill-related classes.
- Identify and/or practice lifetime health and fitness skills that reduce risk of chronic disease and improve or maintain fitness and skill.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)