Feb 29, 2024
PTA 151 - Preparation for Clinical Experience Credits: 1
Introduction and discussion on topics related to physical therapy practice and preparation for clinical experiences. Students will complete clinical requirements and meet deadlines for integrated and terminal clinical experiences. This is a pass/no credit course.
Enrollment Requirement: Acceptance into PTA program.
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Compile required program and clinical requirements for clinical placements.
- Complete HIPAA and AIDS training.
- Review of all required documents for clinical placements.
- Complete student information into the EXXAT database.
- Understand the principles and application of basic documentation.
- Develop a personal and profession plan for clinical experiences.
- Implement plans of care developed by physical therapists.
- Provide care in a safe, legal and ethical manner.
- Communicate effectively and appropriately with patients, families, physical therapists and other care providers both verbally and non‐verbally including accurate written communication and documentation.
- Instruct patients, families and other health care providers using techniques consistent with the level of the audience.
- Function as integral team members and participate in the team process.
- Transition to successful employment as PTA.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
- Written Communication - Written Communication encompasses all the abilities necessary for effective expression of thoughts, feelings, and ideas in written form.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)