Feb 28, 2024
PTA 163 - Posture, Gait and Movement Lab Credits: 2
Provides laboratory experiences related to the assessment of posture and gait and the function of prostheses and orthoses.
Enrollment Requirement: PTA 104 with a grade of 2.0 or higher; and concurrent enrollment in PTA 115.
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Demonstrate ideal postural alignment.
- Document observed posture.
- Identify the components of typical human gait.
- Describe the typical human gait cycle.
- Describe and demonstrate atypical gait patterns.
- Implement the use of lower extremity prostheses and orthoses and spinal orthoses.
- Implement plans of care developed by physical therapists.
- Provide care in a safe, legal and ethical manner.
- Communicate effectively and appropriately with patients, families, physical therapists and other care providers both verbally and non‐verbally including accurate written communication and documentation.
- Instruct patients, families and other health care providers using techniques consistent with the level of the audience.
- Function as integral team members and participate in the team process.
- Transition to successful employment as PTA.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)