Dec 03, 2023
CRC 414 - Certification Prep 3 Credits: 4
Prepares students for Registered Professional Reporter examination - Testimony portion and Certified Realtime Reporter examination through mock RPR-QA and CRR examinations. Students will continue to strengthen writing skills during multivoice dictation and practice the role of a court reporter during mock depositions and mock trials. Students will develop critical-thinking skills pertaining to court reporting situations.
Enrollment Requirement: CRC 324 or instructor consent; and concurrent enrollment in testimony dictation course.
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Gain testing experience from taking mock CCR and RPR-QA examinations.
- Demonstrate how to act as a court reporter during mock depositions and mock trials.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills pertaining to court reporting situations.
- Develop skill in writing two-voice and multi-voice testimony dictation and reading notes with practice on new and familiar material.
- Read, write, and understand a realtime theory.
- Write unfamiliar two-voice and multi-voice testimony, literary, and jury charge, material.
- Demonstrate the ability to write increased level of vocabulary, including legal and medical vocabulary.
- Apply machine-writing skills on legal, medical, and technical terminology.
- Demonstrate natural, smooth read back of shorthand notes.
- Demonstrate correct spelling, punctuation, proofreading skills, and English in the production of typed material.
- Demonstrate and apply knowledge of realtime technology through the production of transcripts and/or captions.
- Build, maintain, and implement personal and job dictionaries for realtime translation.
- Demonstrate knowledge of international, national, and local current events, geography, and cultural diversity issues.
- Perform the role of professional reporter or captioner in simulated exercises and execute all required tasks.
- Apply the NCRA Code of Professional Ethics in all writing activities.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)