Feb 25, 2024
TS-OD 75 - Language Arts and Literature Level 5 Open Doors Credits: 5-10
Introduces Level 5 students to the basic principles of the mechanics of writing and strategies to develop and organize complex ideas in writing. Students practice critical reading skills and demonstrate understanding of a variety of texts, including fiction, nonfiction, and informational through the writing process. Students who successfully complete this course earn High School 21+ credits in English.
Enrollment Requirement: Appropriate placement and instructor consent. Students must be admitted through Open Doors.
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
- Determine the theme or central idea of a text and analyze in detail its development over the course of the text.
- Interpret figurative, connotative, and technical language.
- Write arguments to support claims with clear reasons and relevant evidence from multiple sources.
- Assess the credibility and accuracy of sources.
- Write a minimum of 5-paragraph research essay to answer a question, incorporating several sources to draw an original conclusion.
- Avoid plagiarism by following a standard format for citation.
- Demonstrate college-ready level reading, writing, digital literacy, and communication skills in social studies, literature, and science.
- Demonstrate competency in college-ready level mathematics.
- Demonstrate the skills necessary for successful transition to college credit courses and/or living wage employment.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
- Written Communication - Written Communication encompasses all the abilities necessary for effective expression of thoughts, feelings, and ideas in written form.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)