Dec 03, 2023
AVIA 151 - Aviation GIS Credits: 5
Explore unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) applications for mapping including methods of data collection, processing, and analysis for photography, security, and cyber security. Become familiar with UAV platforms for data acquisition, video and picture gathering. Learn to use mapping software for remote sensing, and image analysis.
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Determine UAV platform requirements for data collection.
- Demonstrate knowledge in UAV manuals and operating procedures.
- Understand the fundamentals of aerial mapping and photography.
- Set up a UAV mapping project from proposal through implementation and completion.
- Use UAVs for data collection.
- Design flights for automated data collection.
- Understand data processing software.
- Use mapping software for data analysis.
- Prepare for a position in the aviation industry or related fields utilizing unmanned aerial systems.
- Employ their understanding of the integral parts of the unmanned aerial system industry through practical application of diverse subjects.
- Demonstrate their ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary and diverse team of aviation and other industry professionals with technology used with unmanned aerial systems.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)