Feb 29, 2024
PTA 107 - Procedures of Patient Care 2
Introduction to current best practices and functional skills related to bed mobility, transfer training, assistive devices and gait throughout the continuum of patient care.
Enrollment Requirement: PTA 105 with a grade of 2.0 or higher.
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Perform safe and efficient bed mobility.
- Describe and provide examples of the various levels of assist for mobility, transfers and gait.
- Perform various transfers with efficiency, proper technique and safety.
- Describe and provide examples of how to use various mechanical lifts and other therapeutic devices.
- Selection and fit of appropriate assistive devices.
- Perform efficient and safe techniques for gait training, use of various assistive devices and managing environmental obstacles.
- Perform proper guarding techniques with all mobility.
- Identify safety concerns with all levels of functional mobility.
- Implement plans of care developed by physical therapists.
- Provide care in a safe, legal and ethical manner.
- Communicate effectively and appropriately with patients, families, physical therapists and other care providers both verbally and non‐verbally including accurate written communication and documentation.
- Instruct patients, families and other health care providers using techniques consistent with the level of the audience.
- Function as integral team members and participate in the team process.
- Transition to successful employment as PTA.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
- Written Communication - Written Communication encompasses all the abilities necessary for effective expression of thoughts, feelings, and ideas in written form.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)