Jun 22, 2021
CHIN& 121 - Chinese I Credits: 5
Begins the study of Mandarin Chinese (the official Chinese Language). Focuses on listening, speaking, reading, and writing. Emphasizes pronunciation, vocabulary development, and sentence structure. Includes practices with complex Chinese characters, as well as simpler forms.
Prerequisite: No previous background in Mandarin Chinese, or no more than one year of high school Mandarin, or no more than two years of high school Mandarin with a “C” average or less; and eligible for ENGL 099 .
Satisfies Requirement: Humanities/Fine Arts/English
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Illustrate comprehension of the similarities and differences between Chinese culture and the cultures of other communities without biased judgment.
- Interpret the differences as a learning opportunity to discover more about Chinese culture.
- Observe and analyze the issues and trends of Chinese community from open-minded perspectives.
- Demonstrate communication and interact in a linguistically and culturally appropriate and effective manner in the Chinese environment.
- Demonstrate a mastery of basic grammatical structures, correct pronunciation, accurate tones and relevant knowledge and understanding of Chinese culture.
- Negotiate verbal communication through interactive task completion.
- Manage a number of situations that have immediate concern: request and provide simple personal information; request and provide basic information about one’s family; request and provide information on time and location of events; make and accept invitation in a culturally appropriate manner; express preferences and simple opinions; act appropriately in social functions; and make phone calls for help and to schedule an appointment.
- Analyze cultural perspectives and values of a multicultural world.
- Written Communication - Written Communication encompasses all the abilities necessary for effective expression of thoughts, feelings, and ideas in written form.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)