Feb 02, 2023
CHIN& 123 - Chinese III Credits: 5
Completes the study of Mandarin at the elementary level. Focuses on listening, speaking, reading and writing. Emphasizes pronunciation, vocabulary development, complex sentence structure, and writing with Chinese characters.
Prerequisite: A grade of 2.0 or higher in CHIN& 122 or equivalent with instructor’s permission; and eligible for ENGL 099 .
Satisfies Requirement: Humanities/Fine Arts/English
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Develop awareness and value similarities and differences between Chinese culture and the cultures of other communities without biased judgment.
- Interpret and illustrate the differences as a learning opportunity to discover more about Chinese culture.
- Observe and analyze the issues and trends of Chinese community from open-minded perspectives.
- Communicate and interact in a linguistically and culturally appropriate and effective manner in the Chinese-speaking environment.
- Develop basic proficiency with grammatical structures, correct pronunciation, accurate tones and relevant knowledge and understanding of Chinese culture.
- Demonstrate verbal communication through interactive task completion.
- Develop reading and writing skills.
- Negotiate a number of situations that have immediate concern to you: request and provide information on time, location and duration of events; give short narratives that explain or relate a situation; describe simple medical conditions; make, accept and turn down invitation in a culturally appropriate manner; act appropriately in social functions; make inquiries and commands; request information about the apartment someone is interested in renting; discuss various sports; discuss and make basic travel plans, including traveling by plane; and make basic comparisons and contrasts of various objects or opinions.
- Analyze cultural perspectives and values of a multicultural world.
- Written Communication - Written Communication encompasses all the abilities necessary for effective expression of thoughts, feelings, and ideas in written form.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)