Dec 01, 2023
ENGL& 235 - Introduction to Technical Communication Credits: 5
Prepare students to communicate effectively in a professional environment. Students become familiar with the processes, forms, and styles of technical writing as they create various documents and communication, including instructions, proposals, and discipline-specific and/or client-based research projects, using a variety of media. Emphasizes the purpose and audience, as well as clarity, concision, and communication design.
Prerequisite: ENGL& 101 with a grade of 2.0 or higher; and instructor’s permission.
Satisfies Requirement: Basic Skills/Communication
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Develop a sense of how purposes, audiences, situations, technologies, and methods affect writers’ and users’ perceptions of written documents.
- Implement and demonstrate theories of document design (e.g. format, layout, graphics) in course projects.
- Exhibit the recursive nature of writing process in terms of researching, drafting, reviewing/testing, editing, and revising.
- Develop strategies for written and/or oral communication with peers, instructors, users, and/or clients that foster mutual respect and responsibility, including peer review and usability testing.
- Implement and evaluate a range of research methods and information resources to develop and produce ethically responsible professional documents.
- Create effective arguments in professional documents using discursive and visual information.
- Demonstrate awareness of how various media genres and technologies affect and are affected by users and readers and, thus, are integral to the writing process.
- Use and adapt various technologies, including MS Word, to produce attractive, persuasive, professional documents.
Produce effective written communication, which demonstrates critical thinking; writing and research processes; and knowledge of genres for workplace, expository, or research writing.
- Written Communication - Written Communication encompasses all the abilities necessary for effective expression of thoughts, feelings, and ideas in written form.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)