Oct 19, 2020
MATH 072 - Elementary Algebra Credits: 5
Study of properties and terminology of real numbers, absolute value, simplifying algebraic expressions, integer exponents, graphing and solving linear equations and inequalities, unit analysis, ratios, rates, and proportions, solving systems of equations, factoring and performing operations on polynomial expressions, Pythagorean Theorem, functions, and applications. Course requires a graphing calculator.
Prerequisite: MATH 070 with a grade of 2.5 or higher; or appropriate math placement. Recommended: Eligible for READ 104 .
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Solve linear equations, linear inequalities, systems of linear equations, and literal equations.
- Convert between the graph and the equation of a line.
- Simplify polynomials and expressions involving integer exponents.
- Factor quadratic expressions.
- Identify functions and use function notation.
- Use unit analysis to convert measurements.
- Solve ratio, rate, and proportional reasoning problems.
- Apply the Pythagorean Theorem to solve problems.
- Recognize which quantitative or symbolic reasoning methods are appropriate for solving a given problem.
- Correctly implement the quantitative or symbolic reasoning methods that are appropriate for solving a given problem.
- Translate data into various formats such as symbolic language, equations, graphs, and formulas.
- Quantitative and Symbolic Reasoning - Quantitative Reasoning encompasses abilities necessary for a student to become literate in today’s technological world. Quantitative reasoning begins with basic skills and extends to problem solving.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)