Feb 06, 2023
SPAN& 123 - Spanish III Credits: 5
Completion of basic grammar system, vocabulary, reading, writing, and conversation. Course requires practice with lab materials. Fulfills the University of Washington College of Arts and Sciences graduation requirement.
Prerequisite: Eligible for ENGL 099 ; and a grade of 2.0 or higher in SPAN& 122 or equivalent with instructor’s permission. The equivalent of SPAN& 122 is two years in high school with a grade of B or higher.
Satisfies Requirement: Humanities/Fine Arts/English
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Formulate knowledge of the diversity of the Hispanic world.
- Develop a basic knowledge of the complex relation between the USA and the Hispanic world.
- Demonstrate proficiency with the structure of the Spanish language, in particular, the needed coordination of all the elements in a sentence.
- Demonstrate proficiency in Spanish both orally and in writing using the present, the future, past and conditional tenses at a level that allows them to be understood in Spanish on daily life situations.
- Develop an understanding of the meaning and the construction of the subjunctive in Spanish.
- Demonstrate improvement in foreign language proficiency as well as intercultural competence.
- Analyze cultural perspectives and values of a multicultural world.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
- Written Communication - Written Communication encompasses all the abilities necessary for effective expression of thoughts, feelings, and ideas in written form.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)