Apr 22, 2024  
2017-2019 Catalog Addendum 
2017-2019 Catalog Addendum [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

University Transfer

Green River College is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU), as well as by several discipline related bodies. The college has completed numerous evaluation processes and has been recognized for performance, integrity and quality. This is important for students who plan to transfer credits to other colleges. Academic courses will usually be accepted by other institutions offering the same (or similar) courses. However, each institution has its own transfer policy and transferability should never be assumed. The Green River Career and Advising Center staff can assist you with your transfer questions. The Transfer Resource Center features a library of catalogs from universities, transfer guides, and information about transfer policies and transfer requirements. This information can also be found online through the Transfer Center website at http://www.greenriver.edu/student-affairs/college-transfer-center.htm.

Students should be aware that courses with “Pass” grades may not satisfy the requirements in their major field. Students are responsible for knowing transfer requirements and policies, and they are urged to consult the catalog of the institution to which they plan to transfer. Students should also consult that catalog and website when meeting with their Green River advisor.

Many transfer institutions expect students to be “major ready” by the time they transfer. This means that students need to declare their majors earlier and carefully plan which courses will meet their distribution requirements, as well as meet the admission requirements for a particular field of study. For example, students who wish to major in business will need to include additional math, economics and accounting sequences in their coursework. Students are strongly encouraged to meet with their community college advisor, as well as an advisor from their transfer institution to verify their choices.

In most cases, universities will accept 90 credits. Green River is a member of the Inter-College Relations Commission (ICRC), and Green River’s AA-DTA, AB-DTA/MRP, AFA, AM-DTA/MRP, APreN-DTA/MRP, and AS-T degrees comply with ICRC recommendations for transfer degrees within Washington.

ICRC has developed a direct transfer agreement (DTA) with Washington community colleges. This ensures that students who complete a designated direct transfer degree at a community college will have satisfied all or most of the general education (or core) requirements at the various universities in the state. For most transfer students, this means that they can begin work on their specialized, major-area course work as soon as they transfer. International students must contact an advisor in the International Programs office to help create an educational plan specific to their needs. During the school year, representatives from various colleges and universities visit the campus to meet with students about transfer requirements. Students should watch for notices in campus publications, on Green River’s website, or call the Career and Advising Center at ext. 2641.

Transfer Rights and Responsibilities

Student Rights and Responsibilities

  1. Students have the right to clear, accurate, and current information about their transfer admission requirements, transfer admission deadlines, degree requirements, and transfer policies that include course equivalencies.
  2. Transfer and freshman-entry students have the right to expect comparable standards for regular admission to programs and comparable program requirements.
  3. Students have the right to seek clarification regarding their transfer evaluation and may request the reconsideration of any aspect of that evaluation. In response, the college will follow established practices and processes for reviewing its transfer credit decisions.
  4. Students who encounter other transfer difficulties have the right to seek resolution. Each institution will have a defined process for resolution that is published and readily available to students.
  5. Students have the responsibility to complete all materials required for admission and to submit the application on or before the published deadlines. Students have the responsibility to plan their courses of study by referring to the specific published degree requirements of the college or academic program in which they intend to earn a bachelor’s degree.
  6. When a student changes a major or degree program, the student assumes full responsibility for meeting the new requirements.

College and University Rights and Responsibilities

  1. Colleges and universities have the right and authority to determine program requirements and course offerings in accordance with their institutional missions.
  2. Colleges and universities have the responsibility to communicate and publish their requirements and course offerings to students and the public, including information about student transfer rights and responsibilities.
  3. Colleges and universities have the responsibility to communicate their admission and transfer related decisions to students in writing (electronic or paper).

Washington 45 - List of One Year Transfer Courses

The list of courses in Washington 45 does not replace the Direct Transfer Agreement, Associate of Science Tracks 1 and 2 or any Major Related Program agreement, nor will it guarantee admission to a four-year institution.

A student who completes courses selected from within the general education categories listed below at a public community, technical, four-year college or university in Washington State will be able to transfer and apply a maximum of 45 quarter credits toward general education requirement(s) at any other public and most private higher education institutions in the state.1

For transfer purposes, a student must have a minimum grade of C or better (2.0 or above) in each course completed from this list.

Students who transfer Washington 45 courses must still meet a receiving institution’s admission requirements and eventually satisfy all their general education requirements and their degree requirements in major, minor and professional programs.

“First Year Transfer List” of general education courses

  • Communications (5 credits)-ENGL& 101 , ENGL& 102
  • Quantitative and Symbolic Reasoning (5 credits)-MATH& 107 , MATH& 148  or MATH& 151 
  • Humanities (10 credits in two different subject areas or disciplines2)-PHIL& 101 , MUSC& 105 , DRMA& 101 , ENGL& 111, or HUM& 101 For colleges that use History as a Humanities HIST& 116, HIST& 117, HIST& 118, HIST& 146, HIST& 147, HIST& 148)
  • Social Science (10 credits in two different subject areas or disciplines)-PSYC& 100 , SOC& 101 , POLS& 101 , POLS& 202  For colleges that use History as a Social Science: HIST& 116, HIST& 117, HIST& 118, HIST& 146, HIST& 147, HIST& 148
  • Natural Sciences (10 credits in two different subject areas or disciplines)-BIOL& 100 , BIOL& 160  w/ lab, ASTR& 100 , ASTR& 101  with lab, CHEM& 105, CHEM& 110  with lab, CHEM& 121  with lab, CHEM& 161 , CHEM& 162 , ENVS& 100, ENVS& 101, PHYS& 121, GEOL& 101  with lab.
  • Additional 5 credits in a different discipline can be taken from any category


  • Although these courses are listed under categories, the actual course may satisfy a different general education category at a receiving institution.
  • Green River does not offer all of these courses, and it is recommended that students work with an advisor to determine which courses can be incorporated into their Green River educational plan

1 Many private non-profit colleges and universities have distinct general education requirements. Students should check with institution(s) they plan to attend regarding application of transfer credits that will meet general education requirements.

2 Disciplines are sometimes called subject or subject-matter areas and designated by a prefix (i.e. PHIL for Philosophy and POLS for Political Science).


Associate in Pre-Professional Degree (A-PP)

While students in most college majors take the same general education requirements during their first two years, some majors demand more specialized subjects. The Associate Pre-Professional degree is designed for those students who need specific requirements that prevent them from satisfying the broad requirements of the AA-DTA, AB-DTA/MRP, AFA, AM-DTA/MRP, APreN-MRP, AAS-T, or AS-T degrees or that will enhance their program of study at the transfer institution.

If students wish to design a program to transfer to a specific department within a university, they should consult advisors at both Green River and their Transfer College or university. Students are responsible for finding out the unique requirements of the institution they plan to attend after Green River. A faculty advisor will help students plan an appropriate selection of classes to ensure that all requirements of the transfer institution are met; the program will be customized for the transfer institution of their choice. Students must present an Associate Pre-Professional degree plan to their faculty advisor for approval. The plan becomes a permanent part of the student’s record. Students should contact their faculty advisor for assistance in submitting an A-PP degree plan.


Transfer Associate