Jul 04, 2022
ART 109 - Beginning Design Credits: 5
Introduces the visual elements of design and the fundamental principles of visual organization. Uses computers and traditional materials. Through visual problem solving, students strengthen their compositional skills while obtaining a better understanding of the visual world and the vocabulary with which to discuss it.
Satisfies Requirement: Humanities/Fine Arts/English
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Demonstrate their approach to the creative process by developing and refining ideas, problem solving, working through technical and craftsmanship challenges, and reflecting upon a resolved solution.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the basic elements and principles of design through the completion of creative projects.
- Participate in critiques and demonstrate the ability to respond to and evaluate art using reasoned judgment and clear design vocabulary.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the elements and principles of visual arts.
- Demonstrate responsibility by class attendance and completion of assignments and projects.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
- Written Communication - Written Communication encompasses all the abilities necessary for effective expression of thoughts, feelings, and ideas in written form.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)