Aug 03, 2021
ENGL& 101 - English Composition I Credits: 5
A composition course designed to teach critical reading and clear, purposeful, and effective writing. Writing tasks are related to course readings and prepare students for writing assignments in other college classes.
Prerequisite: READ 104 and ENGL 099 , with a grade of 2.0 or higher; or concurrent enrollment in ENGL 117 ; or appropriate English/reading placement score.
Satisfies Requirement: Basic Skills/Communication
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Actively read texts and apply critical strategies such as response, interpretation, critique, analysis, and synthesis.
- When writing, analyze the rhetorical situation (audience, purpose, genre, et cetera) to make intentional choices for varying situations, modalities, and genres.
- Compose thesis-driven claims supported by the integration of, response to, and synthesis with credible sources.
- Demonstrate effective use of writing processes, which may include pre-writing, drafting, and peer review.
- Demonstrate awareness of how social position and geopolitical location can affect identity, perspective, expression, and / or action.
- Use research processes to identify information needs and locate and critically evaluate information sources.
- Critically apply the conventions of academic writing, which include grammar, punctuation, spelling, and documentation of sources.
- Produce effective written communication, which demonstrates critical thinking; writing and research processes; and knowledge of genres for workplace, expository, or research writing.
- Demonstrate college-level reading skills by summarizing, analyzing, interpreting, synthesizing, and evaluating college texts; and develop an awareness of the approaches writers use for different audiences, genres, and rhetorical situations.
- Evaluate how social, economic, and/or political situations can affect the way ideas are produced, distributed, and received.
- Written Communication - Written Communication encompasses all the abilities necessary for effective expression of thoughts, feelings, and ideas in written form.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)