Feb 24, 2024
ST SK 106 - College Survival Credits: 2
Provides first-time and returning students with specific skills and strategies needed to accomplish their academic goals with greater success. Through discussion, group exercises, and guest speakers, students are introduced to a variety of topics critical to student success: time management, setting priorities, learning styles, campus resources and policies, critical thinking, motivation, and test taking. This is a pass/no credit course.
Enrollment Requirement: Eligible for ENGL 97 or instructor consent.
Course Fee: $5.00
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Apply study skills including note and test taking.
- Illustrate test taking and test anxiety coping strategies.
- Apply time management skills.
- Apply a decision making process to long and short term goal setting.
- Locate and use the college resources and services.
- Articulate career interests and abilities and apply them to develop a career plan.
Demonstrate college-level reading skills by summarizing, analyzing, interpreting, synthesizing, and evaluating college texts; and develop an awareness of the approaches writers use for different audiences, genres, and rhetorical situations.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)