Feb 24, 2024
TS 24 - HS 21+-Pacific NW & Washington State History Credits: 3-5
Examines the emergence of the modern Pacific Northwest beginning with the earliest geological creation of the region and continuing with Native American habitation, contact with Euro-Americans, the development of trade and early settlement, the development of an industrial economy, the cycle of 20th century wars and depression, and the post-World War II emergence of the Pacific Northwest. Students who successfully complete this course will earn High school 21+ credits in Washington State History.
Enrollment Requirement: Appropriate placement and instructor consent.
Course Fee: $3.00
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Discuss the environmental, political, social, and economic issues that have led to the creation of the modem Pacific Northwest.
- Read important historical literature and documents to enhance their understanding of the region.
- Explore topics of current and historical interest in the region.
- Observe regional and local conditions in the historic and modern PNW through personal observation.
- Experience field experiences with other students.
- Write short papers and essay exams to refine their understanding of readings, observations, and field experiences.
- Demonstrate college-ready level reading, writing, digital literacy, and communication skills in social studies, literature, and science.
- Demonstrate competency in college-ready level mathematics.
- Demonstrate the skills necessary for successful transition to college credit courses and/or living wage employment.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
- Written Communication - Written Communication encompasses all the abilities necessary for effective expression of thoughts, feelings, and ideas in written form.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)