Feb 24, 2024
TS 66 - Language Arts in Social Studies Level 6 Credits: 5-10
Introduces Level 6 students to the basic principles of civics and government, US history, economics, geography, or current world problems. Students practice critical reading skills in the context of social studies-related texts. Students demonstrate analysis and understanding of social studies readings and concepts through the writing process. Students who successfully complete this course earn 21 high school credits in social studies.
Enrollment Requirement: Appropriate placement and instructor consent.
Course Fee: $3.00
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Cite specific textual evidence to support analysis of primary and secondary sources.
- Explain how author perspective affects the telling of historical events.
- Analyze a case in which two or more texts provide conflicting information on the same topic and identify where the texts disagree on matters of fact or interpretation.
- Analyze a complex set of ideas or sequence of events to explain how individuals, ideas, or events interact and develop over the course of a text.
- Integrate quantitative or technical analysis with qualitative analysis.
- Analyze seminal U.S. documents of historical and literary significance.
- Complete a research and application project on a social studies topic.
- Demonstrate college-ready level reading, writing, digital literacy, and communication skills in social studies, literature, and science.
- Demonstrate competency in college-ready level mathematics.
- Demonstrate the skills necessary for successful transition to college credit courses and/or living wage employment.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
- Written Communication - Written Communication encompasses all the abilities necessary for effective expression of thoughts, feelings, and ideas in written form.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)