Feb 24, 2024
SPAN 272 - Culturas de Espana Credits: 5
Explores the cultural, historical and ethnographic forces influential in the development of modern Spanish culture. Explores the diverse cultural forces that forged modern demographics and cultures of Spain. Includes topics on marginalized cultures, cultural syncretism and cultural hegemony in the context of the Iberian Peninsula. Taught in the Spanish language, all lectures, readings, class discussion and assignments are in Spanish.
Enrollment Requirement: SPAN& 223 or instructor consent; and eligible for ENGL 99.
Satisfies Requirement: Humanities/Fine Arts/English
Course Fee: $20.00
Students who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Interpret cultural and historical forces that have convalesced to produce modern Spanish Culture.
- Demonstrate the origin and significance of the many influences on Spanish and world culture by thinking critically about the artistic, cultural, historical architectural influences evident today in the country.
- Develop and demonstrate communicative competency in Spanish by investigating, studying and holding class in the target language.
- Interpret and analyze the notions of cultural hegemony, cultural syncretism and minority cultures of the Iberian peninsula.
- Analyze cultural perspectives and values of a multicultural world.
- Critical Thinking - Critical thinking finds expression in all disciplines and everyday life. It is characterized by an ability to reflect upon thinking patterns, including the role of emotions on thoughts, and to rigorously assess the quality of thought through its work products. Critical thinkers routinely evaluate thinking processes and alter them, as necessary, to facilitate an improvement in their thinking and potentially foster certain dispositions or intellectual traits over time.
- Responsibility - Responsibility encompasses those behaviors and dispositions necessary for students to be effective members of a community. This outcome is designed to help students recognize the value of a commitment to those responsibilities which will enable them to work successfully individually and with others.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)